Climate change has a disproportionate impact on people experiencing homelessness, low-income residents, racialized minorities and other marginalized communities. In order to address issues of inequality and to ensure a better quality of life for all residents, municipalities must begin to integrate the concepts of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) into each stage of their climate action planning.
To help communities across Canada better understand and employ these concepts, the Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) program, from ICLEI Canada and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM), has developed the Integrating equity, diversity and inclusion into municipal climate action resource. This introductory resource was created to help your municipality take the first step on their EDI journey. The resource demystifies key concepts, shares case studies and lessons learned, and provides a basic framework for making EDI a core part of your municipality’s everyday climate planning.
Designed for municipal staff tasked with developing local climate initiatives, this resource can help you:
- Learn the definitions of equity, diversity and inclusion
- Understand how EDI considerations fit into municipal climate action
- Identify how to apply EDI concepts to your work with the PCP Milestone Framework
- Collaborate with vulnerable members of the community
- Overcome common challenges and concerns”